Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: Trading from a portal to the distant past

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Trading from a portal to the distant past

I had a bit of an unfortunate incident last night which sadly lead to the death of my trusty Sony Ericsson S700i. The thing still works except the screen is cracked and renders no image except for a bright blob, see photo.

So, as I am only here for a couple more months, I decide to buy the cheapest phone I can find. This my friends is the rather unbelievably retro LG KG275.


Now, it’s not an ugly creature but it is fantastically basic. It's of horrible plastic construction and comes with a quality we can only describe as added "what could have been”.

Does it have:
Internet? Nope
Blue tooth? Nope
Good selection of ring tones? Nope
Camera? Nope.

The camera is where the “what could have been” is featured. Because on the back of the case, where the lens for a CCD camera would peer out into the world, there is a little square of rubber. Reminding you that what indeed you have bought is the least specified mobile phone produced in the 21st century. That said, it has T9 dictionary and comes with a choice of three languages, Portuguese, Spanish and English. It'll also send text messages of 160 characters which the S700i couldn't do, never did update the software, and I presume it'll have a bigger memory.
Starting up and installing my old SIM card is when I find all my numbers here were stored on the Ericsson’s phone memory. Instructions for transferring the numbers are very straight forward, if you can actually see the menus…
So all my numbers are in hiding. I did try to get the Bluetooth on the S700i operational with success, but then I couldn’t get it to synchronise with outlook on the laptop. I could use a cable to do this, but at €30 for the cable, I am rather inclined to go the route of if they like me, they’ll phone or text me.
Despite the fact the phone is really quite shit I'm growing quite affectionate to it.
Happy days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stuffed Badger said...

It looks like a pocket calculator :-) I think basic is good - you know where you are with basic.

3 Mar 2008, 10:03:00  
Blogger Panic Stricken said...

It creaks when you use the buttons!!! It's soooo Shit!!

4 Mar 2008, 00:20:00  
Blogger Unknown said...

exactly like mine :P
and love it cause:
telephone? yes
sms? yes
cheap? yes
small? yes
and that's that :D
it looks like a remote control
ahahahah

5 Apr 2008, 21:06:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home