Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: IT support, the forth emergency service…

Thursday, February 23, 2006

IT support, the forth emergency service…

Another late night.
You know that feeling when you have to commit to something? I think the phrase is “publish and be damned” and you know if you do, you will. There is just something about the whole thing that puts you off. You look at it, and you just don’t feel right. Well, that damn paper was doing that to me. The introduction was the last part that was ever so slightly bugging me. So here I am, tapping away at a quarter to three in the morning wandering around like some ghost (the ghost of what, God knows) wearing a black t-shirt with a weird DNA design on it, a pair of plaid trousers, socks too big and extending the length of my feet by a good 7 centimetres, 3 inches in old money, and a woollen beanie with a fish on it, I wander periodically about to prevent the onset of deep vein thrombosis and to stop reading the same sentence over and over. To finish off, I am listening to Icelandic experimental rock on my lovely MP3 player which was my favourite toy this Christmas. Everything else is just a stick in the spokes.
It is done. I have burned the CD ROM and will do no more. unless...

Last thing, and this is genuinely mad. I got a call in the library the other night. Someone needed help with a program that had been installed. They were following the instructions on an email, which at the end told them that if they had any problems to call the help desk on; x9999. But of course, as we all know, the first 9 gives you an outside line, and here in the UK the others get you the emergency services who as far as I am aware don’t yet offer IT support…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home