Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: How to Swim - good gig

Friday, September 21, 2007

How to Swim - good gig

It’s weird, last night I was lying here thinking of a piece of equipment I need to make for work in Portugal when I realised that photos I made of the equipment from thesis would offer a good approximation of the new equip. there then followed a small eureka moment as I realised something I should have known all along.
Just realised that’s not such an interesting story. Never mind.

Tonight D and I went to 13th Note to see “How to Swim”. They were very good, but I couldn’t actually hear the flautist from where I sat, and it’s entirely possible she wasn’t actually there. The lack was evident, it’s possible she didn’t have a mike, but that’s equally tragic.
Two support acts, one (the first) a guy on guitar who reminded us both of the late Chris Whitley. Definite differences, but pleasant similarities, He was very good and I will find out his name. Second support started really well and I liked for the first three tracks, then they got a bit dull and I complained about them and D initially protected. They continued on and got steadily more banal until neither of us could wish anything nice on them. D said they reminded her of a band Aberfeldy, three freaks and one pretty girl who looked like she dressed in the dark, that we saw by mistake and to our great misfortune. They were a group of competent musicians who would have served well as a second rate wedding band, but instead strove forward with a handful of songs, none memorable except for an innate and groundless cheeriness reminiscent of a group of ship wreck survivors, clinging to rafts of broken planks singing Coombya as more and more sharks began to circle. Personally, I think the comparison to Aberfeldy was a little harsh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home