Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: Things I can't get to work in Linux

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Things I can't get to work in Linux

Despite having managed to accrue a disturbing number of Linux friendly animals over the years I am still having issues with my final install.

After Ubuntu (6.06, 8.04, 8.10), kubuntu (8.04 and 8.10), mandriva (??? and 2009) and fedora (10), I finally settled on Suse (11.1). The others got into such a mess over such things as being too brown (not really a good reason), just refusing to play (fedora), and messing up the boot sector (kubuntu 8.10 and mandriva). From all this I discovered that my preference is for better support and KDE over Gnome. The desktop image preference is also influenced by my Asus PC900 which has a KDE based Xandros OS. I want the desktop and the netbook to be able to sync. We'll see.
Issues with Suse currently are: No access to the data drive which is formatted as FAT 32 so that the XP and the Linux install can share data access for media and office (Open and MS) files.
The dual head is refusing to work. This caused the death of one of my kubuntu installs where I clicked on the advanced graphics tab; leaving me to try and change the settings back with black text on black graphics all nicely overlaid on a black background. I could see the cursor, so I shouldn't really complain too much.
Internet. I only have a 3G Huawei E220 modem. ALL other installs have seen this no problem. Suse does not. It lights up, flashes green, then blue. It doesn't appear anywhere and there are no links anywhere to configure it.

I know these are mainly user based errors, but they are problems I didn't have with the others. I have that nagging I should have stuck with kubuntu feeling; but I'm determined to stick with Suse.

Today, my favourite inanimate object is this:

It makes lovely coffee and reminds me of the fantastic (traumatic) drive to Italy in my old 1275cc mini in 2003. Thanks to Gerard for all the work with the engine/gearbox change and for recommending that I don't do it in the 998cc.
And the other day I saw this:

No gold at the end, although there was some old copper piping :o)

7 Comments:

Blogger Stuffed Badger said...

Nice rainbow. I believe copper is worth a fair bit these days :-)

30 Jan 2009, 09:15:00  
Blogger Dalg said...

I got an Asus 900 too. A black one. I likey a lot.

2 Feb 2009, 16:31:00  
Blogger Panic Stricken said...

yes, the black ones are pretty. Although I like my nice pearlescent white. From a use-ability point of view I think they have huge potential. Although I do think I need a heavier duty battery as its life is less than I would want.

2 Feb 2009, 17:05:00  
Blogger Dalg said...

I'm getting about 3 hours out of mine which isn't bad. Try playing with the power options, I've mine almost permanently on powersaving, and it's fine. Also, turn off wireless if you're not using it to surf.

3 Feb 2009, 16:30:00  
Blogger Phoebe said...

the first picture.Oolong tea from a frozen mountain peak.:-)

6 Feb 2009, 14:28:00  
Blogger Panic Stricken said...

cool. :o) thank you

6 Feb 2009, 17:51:00  
Blogger Unknown said...

You'll get the modem working with kppp. It's basically just dial-up - but sometimes the stick doesn't get properly recognised if it gets mounted as a usb drive first. I've been playing with one for a few days - got it working ok but wasn't always easy. Wvdial is likely to be your friend :)

I'm still not convinced about your partitioning :D

8 Feb 2009, 20:31:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home