Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: TV and swag

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

TV and swag

Today has been amazingly unproductive. A day of relative inactivity interspaced with guilt over my inactivity. As a diversion I flicked through the channels which, until I found Ross Noble on E4 +, was just another day in the 80 channels of utter shash world that TV has become. I can remember there being only 3 channels and there being stuff on most of the time. You had trivial shit on BBC 1, serious stuff and intellectual quiz shows on BBC 2 (call my bluff and university challenge) and on ITV you had a mixture of both extremes separated skilfully with soap powder adverts. In those days, they would let the poor sod who was spouting forth his heart finish his monologue before cutting it off to force feed you Daz or whatever. These days, there are whole channels dedicated to phone in quiz crap with the simple purpose of generating revenue. The thick as a plank man in the street type just has to narrow down London, Hamburg, Lisbon or Paris as the capital of France and he can win some crap amount of money being peddled by some over made up past her sell by date jumped up check out girl. These only annoy me as I know it’s Hamburg and I can never get through! TCM are showing the dirty dozen… Even better, UK Gold are showing Con Air. Neither anything to do with the UK, save the historic divergence of the English language, nor gold.

Adverts, text and flirt with the scariest hardest looking technically “attractive” women in your area. Footage of various scantily clad bunny boilers…
I think I'll save on my phone bill.

Now, swag!
I got a GPS. It is sooo cool. Using this at home is just pure childish gadget love. From a practical point of view this equates with a 40 year old man using a map as he walks to get to the shops and back, in the neighbourhood he has lived for 20 years. However, finally I have something in the car that tells me the correct velocity of my biscuit tin. Not as fast as it feels I have to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home