Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: bike bike bike Avalanche 3.0 upgrade

Monday, June 07, 2010

bike bike bike Avalanche 3.0 upgrade

I have become only moderately obsessed with my bike habit.
Having two very different bikes has been quite nice for the fast on the road and the going down stairs/single track urges. Last time SB and I were ot at Carron Valley, I was hammering it down the track to the car park and nearly lost the front wheel on some loose gravel. This was the day I'd made the executive decision that we wouldn't be doing anything dangerous, hence cycling hat was not required. Didn't come off, which was nice.
On my GT avalanche 3.0 disk, which was bought as my first real bike in years, I have just replaced the front forks (Suntour XCM V2). These have had some panning in the popular press (internet forums) and I have to say they served me well for over a year and still work fine. I had them set as soft as possible and they seemed to do the job. However, they are not light at 2.64 kg. Off they came and on went my shiney Mantou R7 2009 which I picked up for about half price. With their air sprung loveliness they come in at a hair under 1.56kg which makes the various jump options on the way to work rather joyful. The chain drive has been replaced with a shimano Deore Hollowtech arrangement. This has a slightly bigger final chain ring (more speed!) and whilst not the lightest, the change in bottom bracket has shaved a total of 300g off there. I have also taken the rack off. Next on the list is the seat tube and saddle. I also fancy a Shimano Saint rear derailleur which looks like the business. maybe upgrade to 9 speed as well....

Meanwhile the Specialized Tricross Sport is a lovely beastie too. Just had him service and he feels like new again.

I'm not obsessive, honest!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainbow said...

obsessed - you are! is this why we haven't seen you for ages? (that was in a you are busy with your bikes, not a we are avoiding because you are obsessed with bikes way, to be clear!)

8 Jun 2010, 13:32:00  
Blogger chive said...

Hi Collin.I don't know any where else to leave my comment but here,sorry.I'm the Chinese girl or you may have forgotten.It's ok.I just want to say that I'm so excited to be here seeing your blog again since blogger's been blocked 2 years ago in China.Your "reading materirals" really helped me a lot. :)

10 Jun 2010, 16:18:00  
Blogger Panic Stricken said...

Welcome back!!! I hope you are doing well. Do you now have free access to all the nonsense from the west?
:o)

11 Jun 2010, 20:01:00  
Blogger Stuffed Badger said...

It's nice to have a hobby ;-)

15 Jun 2010, 11:21:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home