Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: Eeek! It’s 2 am.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Eeek! It’s 2 am.

After my rant about pre-pubescent leave your brain at the door music, I couldn’t sleep. I would have watched Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead, but my trusty laptop has started to rebel against the 18 hour day the poor thing has had since purchase and has decided that despite Any DVD, which is fantastic, it will not play region 1 discs anymore. My views on anti piracy are fairly robust, so don’t get me started down that path.
Anyway, being a fan of post apocalyptic drama, which requires some horror, as that is inevitable in such a scenario, but is not the sole purpose of such genres, I decided to give 28 Weeks Later another spin.
Thought the original 28 Days Later was very good, very much liked the remake of Dawn of the Dead too, but 28 WL somehow didn’t work for me last time.
Well, I was wrong.
The only part I would really fault was the full on thumbs in the eyes after Robert Carlyle is reunited wife (Catherine McCormack). Too much blood. Considering they actually held back a lot in other scenes, I think a few side shots there would have had similar impact in horror without actually making me look away. Good acting, the inevitable everything will turn to shit ending was I guess predictable from 2/3 in, but they managed to keep you hoping something would turn out ok. Well, No. So Britain is screwed, Europe also, and America was buggered by that Dawn of the Dead outbreak. Now, I’ve had a bottle of Vinho Verde, so my conclusions might be flawed, but they never actually introduced a source for the virus in DotD, did they? If I’m not wrong then it all ties in nicely. Of course, Australia doesn’t escape, as that had the output from the Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson in the form of Bad Taste. So, Doom Doom Doom!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stuffed Badger said...

I never took to 28 Weeks Later either. If it's post-apocalyptic sci-fi you're after you might want to look here: http://www.20thcenturyflicks.co.uk/film-list?id=pa

6 Oct 2008, 09:52:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home