Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: Optiplex GX240 - X-QPack2

Monday, December 08, 2008

Optiplex GX240 - X-QPack2

I mentioned the Dell optiplex didn't I?



Anyway, the new case arrived:




And whilst the old Dell motherboard spec is fine, its position within the case does not correspond to more conventional layouts.


This means, I need a new back plate.
After taking all the measurements and spending an hour or two on AutoCAD,


Off I went to B&Q to get robbed blind for a 50x25 cm piece of 1 mm thick aluminium tread plate.
I probably didn't need it to be so sturdy, but they didn't have 0.5 mm. The first attempt is fine apart from me needing to rebend the top outward angle above the ports. It's about 2 mm too high.


Apart from that, everything lines up. Just need to tidy up the edging and redo that erroneous bend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hah! Isn't proprietary, non-standard hardware just a joy! I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a proper half-height agp card. Many of them say they are half-height, but in fact it is only the card itself that is smaller and the bracket is full-height - therefore missing the point somewhat.

11 Dec 2008, 21:33:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home