Tocsin! getting alarmed about not much: Ubuntu Inside!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ubuntu Inside!

Did I mention the Suse install on the Dell rescue unit*? Anyway, I think the confusing things for the linux newbies are the different types (flavours, I know) of install. So I went on a big read and information search and despite a few issues, Ubuntu seemed closer to what I want. I installed version 8.10 which did a better job of recognising my monitor and general hardware (sound card, USB ports and associated devices) and also had my vodafone broadband modem up and running in about 30 seconds flat. This allowed the 170 Mb update to download. I'm still to configure the email and calender programs, and at the moment the codecs for sound and DVD playback are a little on the twitchy side, but I'm surprised at the instant functionality of most of the component parts, open office looks nice although I want to see how the excel equivalent handles 3D topographical data, and I'm looking forward to using the system as an everyday item. I should say that my problems with XP have been few, but if I can get an OS that is stable and does everything I need without eating all the system resources, I'll be a lot happier.

* It's a Dell optiplex with a 1.5 GHz P4, currently with 512 Mb of RAM. It has the amusing requirement of a half height AGP Graphics card and only 2 PCI sockets.
I have a full size graphics card in there just now, meaning the case is rather sinisterly ajar.

Today looks like this:

Nice and clear and wintery. I think a small walk up the Campsies is in order at the weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Of course the version of SuSE on that box was quite old so the kernel, drivers etc would not have been as current as Intrepid. Opensuse 11.1 is out in 6 days and is likely to be very shiny :)

11 Dec 2008, 21:30:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home